Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Somethin about Ian

“Ian go……..Come on see even a fifth grade kid can do this…..Bungee jumping ain’t Mt.Everest.” Mr. Frank (Ian’s dad) said to his son. At last with great apprehension Ian decided to take the task……….Bungee jumping in a park.


He was afraid that the rope kind of metal would have some fault and he would be flying like Superman and crash very badly. And to his dread he heard a “crank” like tone in the thing.


He closed his eyes. The seat went up carrying Ian. And………..


He was right the rope had some fault and he was flying……………….In the end he felt him falling down……..


Giving up to gravity……In a moment his head would crash on the ground and………….He could see fear in his parent’s face…….His while life flashed in front of him and………………..


He woke up with a scream.”AAAAAAaaaaaahhhhh. I am dead. Where am I? In hell or heaven.”“Ian what happened!” his sister screeched at him.


“Hey it would be his regular flying and crashing dream.” Ian’s mom said nonchalantly. “Today where was it from….Eiffel tower or Mt.Everest or was it just a car crashing.”


“Option .None of the above” Ian said “Well this time it was Bungee Jumping”.


Well this is one of the few NORMAL days of Ian Dunham-the teenage author. He published his first book right after his school. It was a runaway success. And Ian Dunham became Duni Anham. Weird name. People thought he was from Greece or somewhere. But it came out by just rearranging his name. But he was from our very own Bangalore. He was the youngest member of an Anglo Indian family of lawyers.


His book “Its Him” was a book about detective story set in the backdrop of a college romance. Okay let’s not get too much into that book of his as we have to capture his one day.


“Where’s Ian” asked Mr. Frank sitting at the dining table.


“IAAANNN” his sister called out for him.He came down.


‘So son what are you going to take for college. I mean for your B.Sc degree? I would suggest English as we love in this language.’


‘What dad? Am I not joining some engineering college?’


“What do you mean? We are a family of lawyers. That too for generations. It’s our family job. Law runs through our blood. IPC codes give us food. The black gown is our life son.’


“Dad we are rich enough to buy how much ever black gowns we want to. That means our life’s aim has been satisfied. We can buy a law student’s book. So food shortage has been resolved. And I don’t know whether there is a “law blood group”. If there is then can I go for engineering?” Ian replied


‘Don’t you act smart in front of me Ian?”


“Dad I am not ACTING SMART…I am just being normal. Why can’t I do engineering and later learn law.”


“What you mean you want to waste five years! That’s ridiculous. If you start practicing law young, you can earn a better fortune earlier. A better career. A better life”


“But dad………..”


“IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN………………..”Mr. Frank shouted.


And after a similar fight for three days along with the plea put forward by Ian’s mom and sister, Ian gave the final verdict-“I’ll go to college. B.Sc subject will be English Literature.”


“Today is Ian’s first day of college. I’ll take him to college” Mr. Frank said. “You see I’m very happy now. Where’s Ian?”


"Well he's dressing up” his mom replied

And our friend set for the college.

So then Ian stood in front of the large gate of his new college. He took a big sigh and put his first step into the campus.

"Dude! Watch where you're going. I would have killed you by now.Idiot."A person in a car shouted at the dreaming Ian who very dramatically was putting his first step inside the famous college.

He dreamt of flowers that fell and that he would accidentally crash into a beautiful girl. He dreamt his college days unleash like a movie. But flowers didn't fall. God knows why.

BANG. He crashed into someone. He looked at that person eagerly.

He thanked God and................It was not a girl. Instead a sweaty guy. He was running. He continued. After that guy five others also crashed into Ian. They were chasing the first guy for cash. Ian slapped himself and continues his walk.

He reached his class.

"Hi friends.” A person from behind said. "I am a third year student."

"But isn't this first year student's class?" someone else asked.

"Yes, yes you are absolutely right. I am third year in first year. I mean this is my third year in the same class. Remaining I'll tell you guys later. By the way my name is Rakesh."

"WELCOME STUDENTS" a loud voice called out from the podium.

"Oh no! It’s junior Hitler. He keeps ripping my skull that’s why I don’t pass."Rakesh whispered to Ian.” So all you've got o do is be his pet."

"Roger." said Ian

"After a huge controversy, we have revised the syllabus. Rather updated. For studying modern literature, we suggest you read a book, whose name I'll tell tomorrow.” Junior Hitler announced.

"That tomorrow will never come."Rakesh whispered."Oh it will. I think tomorrow is Feb 31st or April 35th."

And that day of Ian passed quite uneventfully. He was sleeping in class.

"Hey guys guess what, I lost the bet. Junior Hitler actually got the name of the book." Rakesh announced in him canteen to Ian and some others who sat near Ian.

"Dude, what on earth is junior Hitler's actual name .My mom asked me yesterday, and I didn't know his name. Somehow I got away.” Ian said.

"Dude!!!This question is tougher than our question paper!!!Dont worry, we'll find out."Rakesh replied.

And so the class started for that day. Ian got the brainwave for writing his college experiences as his next book. He received many letters asking him about his second book.

"Students!!!!!!Some of you believe that I am all words and no action” junior Hitler said

"Well you said it right."Rakesh whispered.

"So here I am. I will change all your notions."

"Stop giving a speech. I have heard many of these for the past three years."

"The book's name.............The book's name is......"He tries arousing their curiosity. He failed helplessly. No one was curious.

'The book's name is..........It's a very popular book. I believe most of you have read it. The book is "IT'S HIM"

Ian sat dumbstruck. Should he say that he was Duni Anham? Should he say something?

"Its Greek author's creation......I guess” Junior Hitler addeed.'Anyways it’s great.'

'Yeah right! Dude you need to check the address. It clearly said that I am from Bangalore.' Ian thought.

"Ian this gives me chance to pass the exam. I’ve read this book many times."Rakesh said happily.

Ian just smiled. That day was also uneventful. His mind went from the college to many places. He was dreaming. From Greece to Bangalore to romance. Many subjects related to his book.

"Hey dude. Class is about to end, let's finding his name."Rakesh said. And so Rakesh stood up.

Rakesh began.” Sir, I had a doubt."

"That' why I am here for” the teacher replied.

"It's quite out of syllabus."

"If I know the answer, I can clear your doubt."

"Ahem, sir....."

"Yes proceed."

"What's you name?"

"RAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" Junior Hitler exploded.

"Same pinch sir, I am also Rakesh. Good name no sir? Why do you have to shout for that?

The bell rang. Class ended.Rakesh promised that he would find the name through the register. Ian didn't hear any of these. As a matter of fact he didn't even laugh at what happened to Rakesh.He was somewhere else. In a dreamy land. Not a height fearing dream. But flowing.He traveled countries. He saw many creatures. He saw many dreamy things .At last he gave a sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment